RE: [EFM] Minutes of FEC Conf Call, 10/23/02

Larry,
	I was actually attending the meeting also, but I got there late (about 15
min) and left early. I was in the lab making measurements and time got away
from me, as happens when one is having fun.
	One of the things I did was to charactize a FP laser as the temperature
changes. Going from -40C to + 80C the center WL changes, as we know, but the
power also drops significantly and the mode structure changes. I think one
should not compensate for falling power-out in making BER measurements, as
this will happen in practice.
	I was not able to get reliable BER figures as the BERT tester was giving
results that I do not trust. I was getting bursts of about 500,000 errors
every 20 or 30 seconds. It was also very difficult to get consistent BER
readings as the slope of the BER curve seemed very steep.
	Another potential "problem" was that (if I ignore the above-mentioned
bursts) even with 40Km of fiber I was getting almost error-free performance
over the whole temperature range except for the -40C value. (This was with
an average power out of the laser of about .7 dbm and no added attenuation
other than the fiber. Afterall, I wanted to be in the MPN dominated region
of operation).
	Unfortunately it may be a while before I get back in the lab.

John