RE: [EFM] RE: HEADLINE: Oscar Wilde resolves EFM PON timing issues!!!

Gerry,

My comments on each of your points below:
1. The protocol's capabilities are nice.  But, if we don't need to
autonegotiate something, why do you want to add in the complexity?  Time and
time again people have knocked down schemes that work, citing 'complexity.'
I claim that negotiating ONT response times is a complexity that we can do
without.

2. The delay variability is a regrettable consequence of using certain
design paradigms - but that's the path that has been chosen.  The physical
layer times are still additive, and they do continue to have an impact.
Furthermore, we might think about the case where an ONU contains several
'virtual' ONUs.  It would make sense to schedule the bursts from these ONUs
consecutively, and with a short laser off-on time, that can happen quickly.
The OLT timing values don't apply in this case.  So, the 16 ns off-on time
is desireable even if the OLT times are 'long'.

3. The reset signal (as I related to you and others in a private Email) is
not needed for AC-coupled receivers, which I have to believe are the 'main
mode' of GbE Rx design.  So, this is a non-issue.  No reset signal is
needed.

Looking at all of this at a high level, I think that the overlooked 'option
C' makes a lot of sense (Option C is: fast fixed ONU, Configurable OLT).
Anybody who is familiar with burst mode physical layers will tell you that
the transmitter is a piece of cake compared with the receiver.  So, if EFM
wants to spend some of the timing latitude that the protocol's limitations
provide, then the Rx side is where you should look.  The ONU side is easy.
(For instance, we turn our 622 Mb/s transmitters on and off in 2 bit times,
and the required parts cost is peanuts - off the shelf jellybean stuff.)

Also, since the ONU is the cost critical part, that is where the volume
arguments come in to play most.  The shared volume between ITU and IEEE, and
the reduction of uncertainty when it comes to component manufacturers are
huge advantages.

In the spirit of what Bruce Tolley says, I'm looking for something 'good',
too.  I'd like to get option A, but I'd be willing to settle for option C.
I would ask everybody to consider that possibility as a reasonable way out
of this dilemma.

Sincerely,
Frank Effenberger.