Re: [EFM] PON Optics Telephone Conference, December 5th

Hugh,

At 08:17 PM 12/5/2002 -0800, Hugh Barrass wrote:

>Sanjeev,
>
>Firstly, I would strongly recommend that you should not mention real (or even
>realistic looking) dollar numbers in this forum. It's the rule!

Thanks for reminder and your strong recommendation well taken.

>Secondly, rather than looking at an absolute value, why don't you keep it as a
>percentage?
>
>In that case the equation might be:
>
>If the SP can get n revenue from their EPON, the improved efficiency could
>could
>allow up to 1.012*n revenue. Unfortunately this is a little simplistic.
>
>It is more likely that only a small proportion of the installations will
>be working
>at maximum load. In which case the increase in revenue may be less than 0.36%.

Point is that if you have installed x mbps (I hope this is ok as it is not
%), provider sells
all of it (else why you install it to be idle) if subscriber uses it or not
it is not provider's problem
and if at a point if usage gets to max point then provider has to guarantee
it else may have to
pay back what it could not deliver (may be 0.36% may be more).

>Furthermore, it is also likely that the installations will only reach
>saturation as
>the technology nears the end of it's (useful) life. If we assume that we
>continue
>to increase the performance at ~ 10x every 4 years then we should expect
>10G-EPON
>in about 4 years. If our implementation is 1.2% less efficient then we
>must hope
>that the 10G-EPON arrives about 2 weeks earlier than otherwise.

As you are indicating the % may be misleading as wastage of 1% of 1Mbps is
not same as
wastage of  1% of 10Gbps.

>Must get our skates on and deliver that 10G version!

I thought 10Gbps is old news. :)

Thanks,
Sanjeev