RE: [EFM] PON timing parameters - quick locking

Dear Jonathan,

Forgive my misinterpretation of your Email, but you did say:
"I don't understand how it can be done."

I see where you are going now.  Well, I think a big change in the modus
operandi is that all burst mode receivers I've seen don't try to regenerate
the clock from the incoming signal.  So, it doesn't make sense to define or
measure jitter transfer, rejection, or tolerance.  One does define a jitter
generation in the upstream transmitter, but that largely folds into the eye
diagram.

In short, if you go my way, all the dispersion language you know is wrong.
(But that shouldn't surprise you, because burst mode master-slave
communication is intrinsically different from continuous mode peer-to-peer
communication.)

You are right that this issue should be dealt with, because it goes to the
heart of the requirement for loop timing the ONU.  I wonder: what is the
status of that issue?  It is important, and should be answered before we go
any further with specifying PON PMA issues such as the ones you have in
mind.

Sincerely,
Frank Effenberger.