Re: [EFM] Re: [EFM-Copper] Long Reach Copper Presentations in Vancouver

John,

You have hit upon a real dilemma here.  Is "Ethernet" a "service" from a
marketing aspect or is "Ethernet" the Physical/Data Link layer technology
from a standards aspect?  Which aspect of "Ethernet" should EFM concentrate on?

As the author of the marketing/service model of, and the term "Ethernet
Private Line", I can tell you that the only thing "Ethernet" about the
service is that Ethernet frames are maintained intact (even the FCS is
supposed to be maintained).  Otherwise, this service used the existing
technology of the TDM transmission systems by replacing the IFG/IPG with
another "mapping" protocol.

I also authored the term and service model for "Ethernet Frame
Relay".  "Ethernet Frame Relay" is however defined for implemenation over a
"switched packet/frame" service infrastructure.  Again the only thing
"Ethernet" about this is that the original "Ethernet" frames are supposed
to be maintained. (Some would use an IETF draft that would substitute the
original Ethernet FCS with a different FCS and then recalculate it again at
the far end.)

Other than maintaining the "frame" integrity, none of these are based on
the IEEE standards.  None of these have the same inherent characteristics
of data stability. The best case is of an Ethernet Private Line service
facility that uses LAPS, which has a minimum of 125us latency
variance.  All of the others are potentially much worse.  Some
implementations have no where near the data reliability as the IEEE standards.

These are uses and applications of the term "Ethernet" to create a
"marketing" label for a "service" that uses facilities built around
non-"Ethernet" technologies that just happen to carry "Ethernet"
frames.  This goes to show that just because something is labeled
"Ethernet" does not necessarily make it 802.3 Ethernet.

Into this chasm goes EFM, MEF, and other groups.  Other organizations have
already defined "mapping" technologies that allow service providers to
"map" Ethernet frames (I use this concept loosely here.) into existing
infrastructure technologies.  Some of these are very low cost and compare
very favorably with what is being drafted by 802.3ah.

Being a technologist that has worked in the service provider and service
marketing areas I would not recommend that EFM gets too deep into this.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum