	From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:gthompso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
	Sent: Sat 1/25/2003 2:33 AM
	To: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
	Cc: thompson@xxxxxxxx
	Subject: Re: [EFM] Moving forward on extended temperature range optics

	Colleagues-

	After the discussions at Vancouver and all of the messages that have piled up in the past few days regarding extended temperature optics, I feel that there are a few essential words that still need to be said, explicitly.

	P802.3ah was approved as a project on the basis of satisfying the 5 Criteria

	Those criteria are:

		* Broad Market Potential
		* Compatibility with IEEE Standard 802.3
		* Distinct Identity
		* Technical Feasibility
		* Economic Feasibility

	The anecdotal discussions (not conclusive, alleging or, at least, casting suspicion) that I have heard are that the optical specs needed are not technically feasible at extended range, or at least not without significant cost impact.

	At Vancouver we had rather painful discussions about having several different temperature ranges and type naming therefore, painful to the extent that people explicitly mentioned loss of distinct identity.

	So what it seems to me is happening (in 802.3 terms) is...

		The group is desperately trying to trying to juggle and trade off:

			* Distinct Identity
			* Technical Feasibility
			* Economic Feasibility

		without losing Broad Market Potential.

	It is not a foregone conclusion at this point that we can make it on all 5 at the same time.

	It seems to me that in spite of Piers' argument that temperature range is out of scope, that if we can't make Technical & Economic Feasibility without using the temperature range that it takes to meet Broad Market Potential then we don't have a project.

	The Five Criteria are not just a hoop to be jumped through at PAR time. They are really the criteria needed for success. If it turns out that what we put down at PAR time turns out not to be true, then the standard will not be a success.

	So my bottom line from what I hear is:
	If we don't have basic extended temperature optics (I'm not talking "option" here) AND we don't make our cost points THEN we don't have Broad Market Potential and don't have a "real" project (without regard as to whether or not we have a PAR).

	Therefore, I urge you to support Bruce's effort and move it to center stage.

	Geoff