RE: [EFM] Question regarding OAM in 802.3ah D1.3

Chak,

Depending on the service definition and who owns the service facilities,
end to end OAM functionality would not necessarily available.  In all
packet services, the service provider would own at least a portion, if not
all of the communications facilities.  The OAM functionality would then be
for the use of the service provider, not the customer.  Only with a Leased
Circuit type of service (also referred to as "Private Line") would end to
end, OLT1 to OLT2 OAM functionality exist.  For all other types of
services, the OAM for Link 1 would not be the OAM for Link 2.  Other than
with a Leased Circuit service, the services are defined to alter, filter,
or drop customer originated frames/packets in one way or another, including
the OAM frames.  This is the gist of the work that is being done by
SG15/Q.10 under E.Ethna.  Other than with a Leased Circuit service, true
"transparency" does not exist.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum