Re: [EFM] Re: Pause frame usage in transport networks

Shengming Jiang,

The discussion that has been going on has assumed the more generic
OLT/ONU for a point to point link. EPON adds an entirely new level
of complexity. I'll try to answer your questions anyway.

See comments in line.

Jiang Shengming wrote:

> Hi Roy, Ben, Siamack,
>
> Sorry to interrupt your discussion regarding "pause". I just have some
> questions
> related to functions similar to "pause" as I understand.
>
> 1) According to the MAC standard of 802.3ah (if I understand it correctly),
> any ONU should negotiate with the OLT (here, ONUs and the OLT
> are within the same EPON) through "request-grant" protocol. When the OLT
> "grants" the request from an ONU, does this mean that the OLT has already
> considered the congestion issue in itself?

Though the algorithm used for the "request-grant" protocol is not
specified by the standard, I would expect that knowledge of your
buffer depths would be a good feature to include in this algorithm.

> 2) If the above "request-grant" protocol can avoid congestion in the
> OLT, can
> the similar protocol be used from the OLT to ONUs to avoid congestion caused
> by traffic from the OLT in ONUs?

The ONU doesn't control when the OLT transmits to it. Worse, the
ONU can only transmit a pause frame when the OLT tells it to transmit.
By this time, the ONUs buffers may have already suffered an overflow
condition.

> 3) Regarding "ONU at one end of an end to end link "pause" the ONU at the
> other end", is this kind of "pause" necessary if TCP is used for end-to-end
> flow/congestion control (here I guess the above ONUs are within different
> EPONs)?

I don't think end-to-end pause is useful, mostly due to the buffering
requirements necessary to account for the round-trip time of a long
WAN link.

Regards,
Ben

--