RE: [EFM] RE: Pause frame usage in transport networks

Shahram,

Your question about whether a service provider will be terminated the
802.3ah OAM is at the same time both yes and no, depending on the
service.  The ownership and control of the 802.3ah OAM traffic from
customer equipment to customer equipment, end to end, depends on the type
of service contracted for by the customer.  Since the 802.3ah OAM traffic
is a frame that shares the link with the customer's other traffic, it
becomes a question of who "owns" the link.

The ITU has defined four basic types of data communications services.  For
two of those, only the customer's traffic is supposed to be in the end to
end link, the customer "own" the link and all its contents.  For the other
two, the customer and the service provider share the traffic in the link,
the service provider "owns" the link and the customer only uses a portion
of it at any one time.  In most cases, some portions of the link have
traffic from multiple customers share the link. Under different marketing
labels, these are the only services that all of the data communications
service providers have to offer.

The first two service types are called "leased circuit" and "switched
circuit" services.  For these type of services, any 802.3ah OAM that is in
link belongs to the customer.  Service provider OAM for these type of
services is supposed to be outside of ("out-of-band") link traffic.  For
these types of services, the 802.3ah OAM must not be terminated by the
service provider at any point in the end to end link.

The second two service types are called "Frame Relay" and "packet"
services.  For these type of services, most, if not all of the OAM in the
link belongs to the service provider.  Service provider OAM, particularly
for "managed services" is inside ("in-band") the link and is part of the
traffic in the link, end to end.  For these types of services, the 802.3ah
OAM will be terminated and re-initiated by the service provider, possibly
several times at places in the end to end link.

Most people that are use IP are familiar with "packet" services.  In a lot
of cases, that is all that they understand.  A few more are familiar with
"Frame Relay".  Only those that actually build and support enterprise data
communications networks are familiar with "leased circuit" and "switched
circuit" services.

While anything is technically possible, rules of commerce control how the
technology is applied.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum