Re: [EFM] RE: Pause frame usage in transport networks

On Friday 21 February 2003 12:52, Shahram Davari wrote:
> What category do you think Ethernet over Sonet is?

I'm burning my tongue and both hands messing up with this discussion, but
anyway...

In Ethernet over Sonet, the customer is leasing a SONET-based facility. If the
customer wants to have a _truly private service_, then its relatively easy
for the operator to manage the circuit using the OAM functionality provided
by SONET itself. Anything else is not 'leased line' anymore, if my
understanding of the definition is correct.

And... as soon as the operator start to carry OAM information at the same
layer (abstract or real) used to carry user traffic, then the circuit is not
'private' anymore... unless you trust the operator enough to let it mess up
with the traffic, inserting and removing the reserved frames when the traffic
enters or leaves the network. That's what I understand of it anyway.

Carlos Ribeiro
cribeiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx