From: Glen Kramer [mailto:gkramer@ucdavis.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 4:39 PM
To: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [EFM] RE: EFM Name

Dear all,

The point I tried to make in my previous e-mail is thete
there is no good and commonly-agreed-upon name for the
portion of the network that is *between LAN and MAN*.  The
802 is called "LAN/MAN committee", yet 802.3ah defines a
network which is neither LAN nor MAN. We need to define what
this network is called.

This name should not include a particular technology, such
as Ethernet, because 802 group of standards include
different technologies, as well as the fact that different
technologies can be used in this portion of the network.

Names like "Access Area Network (AAN)" or "Community Area
Network (CAN)" or "Neigborhood Area Network (NAN)" match the
datacom naming traditions and clearly ephasize the
geographical difference between this network and LANs or
MANs.

Names like Broadband Access Network and High-Speed Access
Network emphasize the speed of the network, and not the
coverage area (comparing LAN to BAN is trully like apples
and oranges).

I agree with Bruce that EFM is getting more and more
recognition. But the acronim by itself does not specify that
this is a newtork we are talking about (Could mean, for
example, the rare first edition of the Ethernet standard
lost somewhere in the first mile of vast Cisco's
hallways...)

I would suggest we use Access Area Network (I still like
$ub$criber Access Area Network (SAAN) better) and use term
like EFM or EPON when we need to further specify the
technology used for this particular SAAN, i.e., EFM-SAAN.

Thanks,
Glen