From: Jonathan Thatcher [mailto:jonathan@ccser.com]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 11:21 AM
To: 'David V James'
Cc: stds-802-3-efm@ieee.org; stds-802-3@ieee.org; 'Wael William Diab'
Subject: RE: [EFM] RE: [802.3] IEEE P802.3ah Draft 2.0: Comments with
proposed responses

David,

IMHO, you seem to be on a quest to bring the entire IEEE 802.3 document "up
to standard." Doing this in the context of this single project is not
appropriate.

IMHO, as this is a supplement to the existing document, consistency with the
existing documentation must necessarily trump the IEEE style guide when
conflicts are identified.

Were IEEE P802.3ah (or any other project) to modify the style of a sub
portion of the IEEE 802.3 standard in a way that is inconsistent with the
existing document that has the potential of reducing readability, adding
confusion, and potentially even creating misunderstanding -- all of which
are inherently in conflict with the purposes of creating a standard -- I
would write a TR against it.

Please note that IEEE 802.17 is not a supplemental standard.

If the IEEE Standards Board, editorial staff, of anyone else desires to
create a project and expend the effort to clean up all 3000 some pages of
the entire IEEE 802.3 standard simultaneously, I would strongly commend it.

jonathan

p.s. What I write here in no way excuses thoughtless, unsubstantiated
documented.

Jonathan Thatcher