[EFM] RE: [802.1] about Encyption of MAC address

Keith-

At 12:15 PM 2/24/2004 -0500, Keith Knightson wrote:

Dear All,

It is my understanding, maybe quite wrong, that the DOCSIS standards place the security layer below the MAC layer.   This means, I assume that MAC addresses are encryted, along with everything else.

Is not a similar solution possible/desirable for EPON, given that the topology is similar?

No. Not if the project is to remain within 802.3
If you would like to move PON to a new Working Group I will be happy to support that.

Best Regards

Keith

Geoff