RE: [EFM] Changes to 100BASE-X and 1000BASE-X PCS, 10G RS

Jonathan:

You wrote
"I would strongly prefer that it be an option like 802.3ad, which a
customer can readily identify as a supported feature on a spec sheet, and
not an option that is
buried in a PIC table and not readily exposed to the buyer."

I would argue that the slicing and dicing of the issue forces vendors to
start spelling out which clauses are and are not supported in the data sheet.

Bruce
At 11:14 AM 3/3/2004 -0800, Jonathan Thatcher wrote:

>With great fear I here tread....
>
>As we prepare for this discussion a 2 weeks, let us remember that one of the
>principal reasons for standardizing 100M and 1G optics at 10km is that the
>parts available from the industry (when we started) could not be assured to
>be mutually interoperable. In many cases, under many conditions, they were
>probably interoperable. To create a standard that assures backward
>interoperability with parts that were themselves
>not-necessarily-interoperable... well, I think that this might be an effort
>in futility.
>
>In short, even if we choose to remove the OAM requirements, there is no
>assurance that even with the an identical PCS that the parts will "play
>nice."
>
>For my part, if we were going to allow OAM to be an option, I would strongly
>prefer that it be an option like 802.3ad, which a customer can readily
>identify as a supported feature on a spec sheet, and not an option that is
>buried in a PIC table and not readily exposed to the buyer. Yes, I realize
>that 802.3ad was a project, not a clause. Yes, I understand that doing
>anything like this with OAM is not possible at this stage. That would have
>required a separate project.
>
>jonathan

Bruce Tolley
Senior Manager, Emerging Technologies
Gigabit Systems Business Unit
Cisco Systems
170 West Tasman Drive
MS SJ B2
San Jose, CA 95134-1706
internet: btolley@cisco.com
ip phone: 408-526-4534

"Don't put your hiking boots in the oven unless you plan on eating them."

Colin Fletcher, The Complete Walker