RE: [EFM-P2MP] FW: [EFM] EFM FEC Proposals

Lior,
Some comments:
1. Compatibility.
    When an old system receives FEC protected frames it will detect
    disparity errors (because of the low power). How will the old system
    deal with it?
2. Error duplication.
    In both schemes you can correct 8 symbols. 8 or 10-bit symbols.
    The error probability of 10-bit symbol is higher, therefore the
performance
    of the S-FEC is better for AWGN.
    80 bits burst protection is not required, so this is not an
argument.
3. Byte and frame alignment.
    In upstream you have the preamble and delimiter so additional
    alignment is not required.
    In downstream, since the sync byte is always in the beginning of a
    fixed length frame, alignment is very robust (and was proven in lot
    of standards).

Best regards,
Raanan