From: Law, David
Sent: 21 June 2013 22:58
To: IEEE 802.3 Working Group <stds-802-3@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: IEEE 802.3 Working Group Dialog <stds-802-3-dialog@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Proposed Next Generation Ethernet Passive Optical Networking (NGEPON) Industry Connections activity

All,

Please find attached a draft IEEE-SA Industry Connections Activity Initiation Document (ICAID) form in relation to a proposed IEEE 802.3 Industry Connections activity for Next Generation Ethernet Passive Optical Networking (NGEPON). Just as background an Industry Connections activity can be used within IEEE 802 to develop output other than standards for example a report and operates as an ad hoc of the IEEE 802.3 Working Group. The two previous examples within IEEE 802.3 are the IEEE 802.3 Industry Connections Ethernet Bandwidth Assessment ad hoc and the IEEE 802.3 Industry Connections Higher Speed Ethernet ad hoc.

Based on past practice an ICAID requires the endorsement of both the IEEE 802.3 Working Group and the IEEE 802 Executive Committee and after consultation with the IEEE 802 Chair I have concluded we in IEEE 802.3 should follow the same process as that for a Call for Interest for consideration on our plenary agenda. On that basis this request does not meet the 30 day notice period and therefore the vote to endorse this ICAID would not be in order at the upcoming July plenary. I'm however willing in this case to charter an Ad Hoc at the July plenary to discuss and refine this ICAID.

As the IEEE 802.3 Working Group reflector is for announcements only I have also CCed the IEEE 802.3 general discussion reflector. Please therefore direct all discussions to the IEEE 802.3 general discussion reflector <stds-802-3-dilaog@xxxxxxxx>. The IEEE 802.3 general discussion reflector is an opt-in reflector so if you wish to discuss this issue please subscribe to the IEEE 802.3 general discussion reflector, if you have not already done so, at the URL <http://www.ieee802.org/3/dialog_reflector.html>, or follow the discussion on the reflector email archive at the URL <http://www.ieee802.org/3/email_dialog/thrd1.html>.

Best regards,
 David