[802.3_DIALOG] Backplane 2.5G/5G CFI considerations

Dear 802.3 Colleagues:

When it rains, it pours.

I became aware of yet another broad market application of Ethernet  that could benefit from 2.5G and 5G over backplane and twinax, and some discussions occurred in Pittsburg meeting.   We would like to explore CFI opportunity for July plenary on this potential project.   The main driver for this technology is HDD/SSD storage devices that natively use Ethernet in scalable cloud and other storage applications, that currently use 1G, but require higher speed in the near future.   We also believe the speed upgrade from 1G benefits many other applications that are currently at 1G.

If you are interested in discussing this potential CFI, please contact me.  We plan to have a socialization call on this topic next week, June 10th, 2015, Wed, 9 am PDT/USA, and subsequent Wednesdays for a few weeks, ahead of July Plenary.  Thank you!

best regards,

Yong Kim | Senior Director, CTO Office, Networking
Broadcom Corporation | (O) 408-922-7502 | (M) 408-772-4304