[802.3_DIALOG] Call for interest - Beyond 10km Optical 100 Gb/s PHYs
- To: STDS-802-3-DIALOG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [802.3_DIALOG] Call for interest - Beyond 10km Optical 100 Gb/s PHYs
- From: "Law, David" <dlaw@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 20:55:51 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of dlaw@xxxxxxx designates 18.104.22.168 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=dlaw@xxxxxxx
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=mime-version:content-transfer-encoding:spamdiagnosticmetadata :spamdiagnosticoutput:content-language:accept-language:message-id :date:thread-index:thread-topic:subject:cc:to:from :arc-authentication-results; bh=RjAgf5Iv12NnA4o8W9dlau9xvvGY8B6UWDgWX1eeMcE=; b=XicperUi9MRVfUS1kSZS1s3tqUsWf8Xb7F6/ac+zhhE0yrjv4i+CTlUODRk0FNssqI KuffyM6VOfW/hf4KRRl1l9tOO5XFraTiBcom3+kE9GorQFU8rahyhI0JM0nlVvc+ixob vl6fuIgM5TYfwCeS3ojpa9vj62nfaw3Z2cFPtBE2zCiLUipQb4N3hKCOSSfT/PrBKXJU NVy+a0sEzk45oPBQb4ID5DFvik4Zkv//8d2TWcQfMdMvbPofx/NGTLS2iYjA3p80SB3G kZDyUV7UzPXwmTkSTQaGGqEGFyjEn7rurjF4c+Xxyourg/RZmPABCRwW55B/A6AFjInW UPIw==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1506718556; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=mH4+rytCpvK+xG++rKh2e/lpJFNNZd8MUwn4cXTEo0OHDE8TQMGRHbLejxfXwA9vr8 9umjH02TT8VTxqtjzoLkTaNqY+EPMn05E2cewWAJRqFlqOL+AEN5PdkjYMfEIm0ktHUt 2JihvDFyPR8QlfBWleG1f4rVqKPMXHJ5NopkY/ZYIT8siVRhF+4V1IJRppqciFTeMWB1 CCuA8g7UFO2rBWXhIViXZaclOH/GG/XrkAUZh6XXwK36VVtNMXcC7wpuPDWhg7Vcq434 VsPt7hTPdWkszdJ4MlxahMUA5oDysdKmo2du6BWntUX50ZCZmu9zbQysxwIzUyInDwat O3lA==
- Delivered-to: mhonarc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- List-help: <https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=STDS-802-3-DIALOG>, <mailto:LISTSERV@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG?body=INFO%20STDS-802-3-DIALOG>
- List-owner: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-subscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-unsubscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- Reply-to: "Law, David" <dlaw@xxxxxxx>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
- Thread-index: AdM5W4ZbaCul5fFPRyWB7ryWJ7De4Q==
- Thread-topic: Call for interest - Beyond 10km Optical 100 Gb/s PHYs
The following request for agenda time for a call for interest has been received from Mark Nowell. It will be discussed at the IEEE 802 LMSC November 2017 Plenary meeting in Orlando, FL, USA. If you have any questions please get in touch with either Mark Nowell <mnowell@xxxxxxxxx> or myself directly.
The ongoing growth in network bandwidths continues to push in all application areas. Like core networks, distribution, metro and mobile networks require higher interface speeds in order to keep up with bandwidth requirements. Many of these networks are also migrating to Ethernet solutions in an effort to minimize cost and maximize architecture and deployment flexibility. Applications such as cable/MSO, Service Provider metro and mobile backhaul all require solutions for reaches greater than 10km over single-mode fiber. Newly adopted Ethernet technologies such as forward error correction, higher speed electrical SERDES or higher speed optical modulation offer the potential to be leveraged for new solutions or lower cost solutions compared to the existing solutions available today. It is requested that 802.3 form a study group to investigate potential 100 Gb/s Ethernet solutions for beyond 10km SMF reaches to address these application spaces.
The call for interest will take place during the IEEE 802.3 Opening Plenary on the morning of Monday 6th November. A call for interest consensus building meeting has been scheduled to occur from 18:45 to 19:30 on the evening of Tuesday 7th November. The vote to determine if a Study Group will be formed will take place at the IEEE 802.3 Closing Plenary on the afternoon of Thursday 9th November.
David Law, Chair, IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Working Group
Phone: +44 1631 563729