[802.3_DIALOG] New IEEE 802.11 ad hoc: Ethernet cabling requirements for 802.11 systems for next 5-10 years
- To: STDS-802-3-DIALOG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [802.3_DIALOG] New IEEE 802.11 ad hoc: Ethernet cabling requirements for 802.11 systems for next 5-10 years
- From: "Law, David" <dlaw@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:09:31 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of dlaw@xxxxxxx designates 188.8.131.52 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=dlaw@xxxxxxx
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=mime-version:content-transfer-encoding:spamdiagnosticmetadata :spamdiagnosticoutput:content-language:accept-language:message-id :date:thread-index:thread-topic:subject:cc:to:from :arc-authentication-results; bh=sgnkLRw36jmhGGeF7bp7bymDfhkL7GZXNnCHHEnZiLs=; b=MDoxI8r+R7mSfTiZetq/xaeqF4TvQrahVRLigvUy7ZgC6XMp2SuiJUl0y5dI4tQmwL vAldaH9L9Xs4GvdVNeKQcRvjfdx9vEZ4Sg7wKf3NWazQ19xiesaNVQg5DM7JmwgWK6T9 5HwJER7nyiIhBdTYol6qwPEBq/ozSBiohAQP3THXRZhppP1lNEFhaFxlv1ipVF6bQM40 VYTPS5NXmk195poIwHy8Zhh82o3yD63ptfqnAGpWnMZaPjv6BYyHO6e/6WkNYi6uRQUZ XoQm8Ok8Q0o0hvFPifV8+h1acryq8BuOKSfb83l5c/vwBZj5uUSP5DtptofHY4D3SlSv 8v/w==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1526483376; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=bEe8njU627avbBMsglcSTXvsVcNk0T07DRytcV33/M+RgquwZn2+3NX7q1+zPgjubL E2O3ZYewtLaDKXdw/6L973yaxGchkdg6WPq4J6bBeJQzj/7eOW/rk+2aKNc6J49I7NDl eK1g2f5RmwhLfSfLULvvZ8LyijqsgAmuKIQC7EG9Lcubtp5r2kuqHwEruK0XlKqslmJg 6KN2UzmWvTppXLZaMtRS16AA9drdkNEV4sRbip4c+PLdvU1wPFj1WWztYFIeTeL668bC 9QzZork88od9RFp9JnTTeC3ZHO22IVZpimiU3ZKsdZ1yu6WfU+fWHk8d4rW0wYv1PXj1 Wiiw==
- Delivered-to: mhonarc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- List-help: <https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=STDS-802-3-DIALOG>, <mailto:LISTSERV@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG?body=INFO%20STDS-802-3-DIALOG>
- List-owner: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-subscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-unsubscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- Reply-to: "Law, David" <dlaw@xxxxxxx>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
- Thread-index: AdPtFmOvm86PznrmT+qVZ5xT5Q0cYw==
- Thread-topic: New IEEE 802.11 ad hoc: Ethernet cabling requirements for 802.11 systems for next 5-10 years
As James Withey, ISO/IEC JTC1 SC25/WG3 liaison officer, reported on slide 10 of his presentation <http://www.ieee802.org/3/minutes/mar18/0318_SC25_WG3_report_to_802d3.pdf> at the March 2018 opening plenary, ISO/IEC JTC1 SC25/WG3 is exploring the possibilities of extending cabling reach and increasing capacity for both four pair and single pair cabling. One of the application under discussion was support for future IEEE 802.11 systems.
Based on this I contacted the IEEE 802.11 Chair, Dorothy Stanley, and introduced her to James to try to ensure the most accurate information was being used in respect to the future bandwidth needs for IEEE 802.11 systems. As a result a presentation was made at the IEEE 802.11 interim last week <https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/18/11-18-0738-00-0000-cabling-needs-for-next-generation-wi-fi.pptx> and IEEE 802.11 agreed to form an ad hoc chartered to consider 'Ethernet cabling requirements for 802.11 systems for next 5-10 years.'.
In respect to the title of the ad hoc, I have confirmed with the IEEE 802.11 Chair that the scope of the ad hoc is to develop a set of needs in terms of Gb/s data throughput of IEEE 802.11 systems, not in terms of the bandwidth of the cable or of the category of the cable.
The ad hoc will be holding conference calls and I will forward information on how to participate in these calls once it becomes available to me. The ad hoc will also be holding a face to face meeting from 08:00 to 10:00 on Tuesday 10th July 2018 during the IEEE 802 plenary meeting week. We will receive a report from IEEE 802.11 on this activity during the July 2018 IEEE 802.3 closing plenary meeting and will liaise updates to ISO/IEC JTC1 SC25/WG as required.
To unsubscribe from the STDS-802-3-DIALOG list, click the following link: https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-3-DIALOG&A=1