[802.3_DIALOG] IEEE 802.3 March 2020 plenary cancellation update

Dear IEEE 802.3 Working Group participants,

I'm announcing that we will go ahead with an IEEE 802.3 Working Group teleconference at the already announced time for the IEEE 802.3 Opening plenary, Monday 16th March 2020 at 10h00 EDT (07h00 PDT, 08h00 MDT, 09h00 CDT, 14h00 GMT, 15h00 CET, 19h30 IST, 22h00 CST, 23h00 JST). The focus of this call is to enable the IEEE 802.3 subgroup chairs to report their plans to move their respective activities forward in the absence of the March 2020 IEEE 802 plenary meeting. The approval of the minutes from the last two meetings will be deferred to May, and as many administrative items as possible will be deferred or circulated before the call. Please, therefore, plan to attend the call next Monday, I will send an email with the teleconference information shortly.

I'm also announcing that we will NOT go ahead with a call at the already announced time for the IEEE 802.3 Closing plenary on Thursday 19th March 2020. As IEEE 802.3 subgroups will have, at the most, met for two hours since the call on Monday 16th March 2020 there will be little for them to report. With respect to items to consider, the IEEE 802 LMSC Operations Manual only allows the consideration of PARs at a Face to Face plenary meetings, so the consideration of the four IEEE 802.3 draft PARs has to be deferred to July 2020. As a result I believe the remaining items can be considered effectively by email ballot instead.

With respect to retaining voting membership, the IEEE 802 LMSC Working Group Policies and Procedures state that 'Membership is retained by participating in at least two of the last four plenary sessions.'. Since the March 2020 IEEE 802 plenary has been cancelled, there is no plenary session to participate in. As an example, after the July 2020 plenary the 'last four plenary sessions' that members will have to attend at least two of to retain their membership will be March 2019, July 2019, November 2019 and July 2020.

With respect to gaining voting membership, the IEEE 802 LMSC Working Group Policies and Procedures state that 'Membership may be declared at the discretion of the Working Group Chair (e.g., for contributors by correspondence or other significant contributions to the Working Group).'. Based on this provision I will grant membership to any individual that: (a) is listed on the IEEE 802.3 Potential voter list for March 2020 plenary meeting <http://ieee802.org/3/minutes/mar20/0320_potential.pdf>; (b) that registered to attend the March 2020 plenary meeting prior to 5th March 2020 (even if you subsequently cancelled); and (c) contact me requesting to become a voter with proof that they registered for the March 2020 plenary meeting before Thursday 19th March 2020 23:59 AoE. Individuals granted membership will become members on Friday 20th March 2020.

Finally, I know that I speak for the entire IEEE 802.3 community when I say our thoughts are with those affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.

Best regards,
  David