[802.3_DIALOG] Comments on July PARs

Colleagues,

I’ve taken a pass through the PARs for July, and have the following personal comments for consideration.

Mr. Law has requested that I chair an ad hoc to produce IEEE 802.3’s comments on PARs from other WGs.  Because of the volume of expected meetings during the July plenary, I accepted Mr. Law’s recommendation and scheduled a PAR ad hoc meeting for 28 June (https://www.ieee802.org/3/calendar.html).  Please feel free to add comments or react to mine below on the reflector, otherwise I look forward to getting reaction or other comments to consider during the 28 June teleconference.

— Bob

Revision PARs
-------------

IEEE P802.15.4 Low Rate Wireless Networks Revision PAR
PAR: https://mentor.ieee.org/802.15/dcn/22/15-22-0259-03-0mag-802-15-4-revision-d

No comment

Amendment project PARs
---------------------

IEEE P802.1Qdv Enhancements to Cyclic Queuing and Forwarding
PAR: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/dv-draft-PAR-0522-v01.pdf

No comment

CSD: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/dv-draft-CSD-0522-v01.pdf

General — The answers are extremely terse and with little substance.

1.2.1,a — This answer addressing TSN does not seem to correlate to the Need statement in the PAR.  In fact there is no mention of TSN in the CSD.

____

IEEE P802.1Qdw Amendment: Source Flow Control
PAR: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/dw-draft-PAR-0522-v01.pdf

5.5 — Grammar problem “packet loss from to congestion"

CSD: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/dw-draft-CSD-0522-v01.pdf

No comments.

PAR modification request
------------------------

IEEE P60802 Time-Sensitive Networking Profile for Industrial Automation
PAR: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/60802-draft-PAR-modification-0522-v01.pdf

General — Note that there is also a PAR extension request for the project, and if the extension is not approved (unlikely), this project will be on the administrative withdrawal list for 2022.

CSD: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/60802-draft-CSD-modification-0522-v01.pdf

General — There is no indication if any of the CSD is modified.  No other comments.

PAR extensions request
----------------------

IEEE P60802 Time-Sensitive Networking Profile for Industrial Automation
PAR Extension: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/60802-draft-PAR-extension-0522-v01.pdf

3.3 — I don’t think the group has been meeting in person 6 times a year (at least not since the pandemic drove everything virtual).  I don’t think the form allows much explanation to make the number make more sense, but 52 weeks in a year minus 6 in-person meetings does not leave enough weeks for 50 teleconferences.  Perhaps there have been multiple teleconferences some weeks though.

IEEE P802.1CQ Standard - Multicast and Local Address Assignment
PAR Extension: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/cq-draft-PAR-extension-0522-v01.pdf

3.3 — I don’t think the group has been meeting in person 6 times a year (at least not since the pandemic drove everything virtual).  I don’t think the form allows much explanation to make the number make more sense, but at least 40 teleconferences a year is more believable than the numbers on P60802.

IEEE P802.1DC Standard - Quality of Service Provision by Network Systems
PAR Extension: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/dc-draft-PAR-extension-0522-v01.pdf

3.3 — I don’t think the group has been meeting in person 6 times a year (at least not since the pandemic drove everything virtual).  I don’t think the form allows much explanation to make the number make more sense, but at least 40 teleconferences a year is more believable than the numbers on P60802.

IEEE P802.1Qcz Amendment: Congestion Isolation
PAR Extension: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/cz-draft-PAR-extension-0522-v01.pdf

3.3 — I don’t think the group has been meeting in person 6 times a year (at least not since the pandemic drove everything virtual).  I don’t think the form allows much explanation to make the number make more sense, but at least 40 teleconferences a year is more believable than the numbers on P60802.

IEEE P802.1Qdd Amendment: Resource Allocation Protocol
PAR Extension: https://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2022/dd-draft-PAR-extension-0522-v01.pdf

3.3 — I don’t think the group has been meeting in person 6 times a year (at least not since the pandemic drove everything virtual).  I don’t think the form allows much explanation to make the number make more sense, but at least 40 teleconferences a year is more believable than the numbers on P60802.

4. — Thanks for the honesty.  The dates clearly imply that another extension will be required in a couple years.  What is less clear is that Std 802.1Q will probably be in revision again in 2025.  I note that a number of the extensions above are justified by the desire to update references to to Std 802.1Q-2022.  The project folk need to consider that their schedule may conflict with the next revision of 802.1Q.