[802.3_DIALOG] PARs from other WGs for March

Colleagues,

I’ve taken a quick look at the PARs submitted for March plenary week consideration.  I don’t have any significant comments for anything but the Cut-Through Forwarding proposed project (P802.1DU).  I only have some minor comments on the other PARs.

—Bob

P802.1CS-2020/Cor1 - PAR modification, but no CSD as this is a Corrigendum

No comments
__________

P802.1ASdm – PAR modification and CSD:

4.3 — The RevCom submittal date is more than 4 years from the original PAR approval date — which if actual will require a PAR extension before PAR expiration.

Subtitle — The Subtitle doesn’t agree with the PAR modification to the title.  It should be aligned with the modified PAR.
__________

P802.1Qdt– PAR modification and CSD:

No comments.

No comments.

P802.1Qdx: - amendment PAR and CSD

General — It isn’t clear what the difference is between YANG models and YANG modules.  This confusion exists in the scope statement of the base standard.  This project appears to be for work on what is called modules on the 802.1 web site.  Does 802.1 have a consistent definitions for models and modules and the difference between them for YANG?

Same general comment.

P802.1DU – new standard PAR and CSD

No comments on the submitted PAR form, only concern about the impacts of the project.

1.2.2 — This answer to this question is arguable.  I personally believe the answer is NO as it violates an important concept of the MAC Client interface from many years of 802.3 development. Those suggesting YES as a valid answer would perhaps argue that Std 802 is silent on the principles underlying service interfaces.

PERSONAL NOTE — My concerns about CTF are really fundamental.  I remember a discussion many years ago with Tony Jeffree (then Chair of 802.1) when I was a supporter of CTF capabilities and the potentials such capability would open.  Tony was adamant that the MA_DATA.request and MA_DATA.indication were atomic operations, with all data necessary to create the frame being available when the request or indication was issued.  Further thought and reading of Std 802.3 reinforces how deeply that concept is incorporated in our specifications.  CTF violates this concept and leads to many questions that have to be considered for our sublayers and sublayer interfaces and for the plethora of port types we have defined.