Re: [802.3_EPOC] Study Group Questions

Hi John,

And for others that have joined the EPoC Study Group email discussion list.  Welcome!

There are a number of things that are in the Call for Interest (CFI) presentation as guidance items.  The CFI is available at:

   http://www.ieee802.org/3/epoc/public/nov11/index.html

My initial answers. Note: The SG contribution and consensus process will have more on these as its official answers:

1) Open for SG discussion, flexible with cable operator initial deployment and changes.  As an SG effort, we’ll probably need to evaluate from 5MHz to 2.8GHz (there are taps in the market that run up 2.8GHz….)

2) and 3) strong preference for “as is” but cable operator requirements followed by SG work to see how it plays out

4) open for discussion, but there is the strong notion of being able to work “around” existing services without disruption

5) EPoC is a new service that should be compatible with existing services and “on the wire” signaling.  While specific signaling mathematics will be a topic for the Task Force, the SG will likely have some guidance/objectives at conclusion going into the TF.

Mark