Re: [802.3_EPOC] Study Group Questions

Alex

I think that we are mixing up product definition with the EPOC PHY standard.  The EPOC PHY will work under the EPON MAC. It only needs to co-exist in spectrum with other technologies.  Overlapping frequency would be a mess.

If someone wants a backwards compatible CNU with another standard, they can create a device that does both.  People have done this with GPON/EPON.  The market will decide if the cost burden is too much for the convenience.  The other EoC solutions have a standards body that can specify a higher speed version.  There are so many and it would be a mess to specify home plug, DOCSIS, wifi over coax, etc.  All of these and more are used in China cable.  I wouldn't make any assumptions.  It is best to have isolated spectrum.

As far as TDD (Half Duplex) versus FDD (Full Duplex), the EPON MAC is full duplex.  Ethernet has half duplex MAC operation but EPON doesn't support it and It isn't specified in Ethernet anymore.  If you want a higher speed half duplex PHY, there are many half duplex MAC standards that would be a better fit.

Thanks
Ed

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 14, 2011, at 9:13 PM, "Liu, Alex" <alexliu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Let's dig Hesham out from underneath the pile of commentary that followed
> his remark.
>
> I think I know where he was trying to go.
>
> If EPoC is serious about targeting the China market, I would highly
> suggest that we consider an optional TDD mode of operation.
>
> One of the reasons that EoC solutions such as HomePlug and MoCA have found
> wide acceptance in China is that they slot easily into widely varying
> spectrum allocations here. To be specific, they are TDD. This is abetted
> by the fact that the vast majority of cable is passive (N+0).
>
> This is direct feedback from SARFT. China has a penchant for TDD systems,
> if 3G and 4G are any indication.
>
> Returning to the topic of interoperability, I agree that it is outside the
> scope of this effort. However, coexistence is absolutely fair game,
> whether with DOCSIS in N. America or EoC in China. TDD would go a long way
> toward easing that path.
>
> Alex
>
> On 12/15/11 12:17 AM, "Eugene Dai" <Eugene.Dai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Talking about interoperability first and foremost is for EPOC to
>> interrupt with EPON that in turn requires minimum change to EPON
>> protocols.
>>
>> As far as backward compatibility is concerned, backward compatibility
>> with HomePlug is out of question. EPOC and EOC are different standards.
>> Even within various EOC implementations, such as HiNOC, Homeplug, MoCA
>> etc., there is no interoperability or backward compatibility between
>> them. Require all these will defocus the WG from the very beginning. I
>> agree with Matt that we should be focused.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eugene

>>> "STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> R