From: Liu, Alex [mailto:alexliu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:06 PM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] Study Group Questions

Ed,

First, let's consult the primary sources. Please reference the 2010 document from SARFT recommending EPON + EoC as one access method, and DOCSIS as the other. Within EoC, the document recommends HomePlug AV as the low-frequency standard, and HINOC as the high-frequency variant. One can argue that three standard recommendations is akin to having none at all, but this situation is certainly better than having six or more competing technologies.

Secondly, the market in China has spoken, and it is in favor of EoC. Of the twelve trial cities in the NGB effort, ten have standardized on HomePlug AV EoC, while two have chosen DOCSIS. HINOC is not yet a contender because commercial silicon is still being developed. This situation was corroborated by a third-party CFI supporter in the attached analysis (pg. 13 of v7 of the CFI deck).

The past is only prologue and there is no saying that an FDD EPoC solution can't be massively successful in China. All I am suggesting is that we not ignore the success factors of EoC so far in the China cable market. I believe TDD operation is one of those factors. We will plan on a presentation detailing more about why this is so.

Happy holidays,
Alex