From: Matthew Schmitt [mailto:m.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 03 January 2012 22:46
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] Study Group Questions

Alex,

I'm not sure I agree that a TDD system inherently provides more spectral
flexibility than an FDD system in a passive coax environment.  Depending on
the PHY layer, you can do quite a bit of steering regardless of FDD vs.
TDD.  I will agree that a TDD solution can provide advantages in terms of
the relative allocation of bandwidth to upstream vs. downstream operation,
although only with a MAC designed to support such features.

That said, I'm more than open to being proven wrong, and so I will
definitely look forward to your presentation to highlight why you believe
TDD had advantages over FDD.

BTW, I also tend to agree with others on this thread that it's MUCH
preferred if we can develop a single solution.  Without that, you end up
with a fragmented market, and it's much harder to achieve the same economies
of scale that you could have with a single, unified solution.
If it's simply not possible to come up with a single unified solution, so be
it; but I think that should be our goal if at all possible.

Thanks.

Matt