From: Boris Brun [mailto:boris.brun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 8:22 AM
To: Hal Roberts; STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3_EPOC] Study Group Questions

Hal,

It's good to know that once OFDM worked for HFC in both directions. Another example can be DVB-C2 protocol that defined OFDM for broadcasting, but probably was not deployed yet.
The difference between Homeworx and EPOC, from QAM/OFDM coexistence point of view, is a number of OFDM carriers and a variety of scenarios for QAM, Analog and OFDM carriers allocation over the spectrum.
Another difference can be a higher level of QAM constellation. To my knowledge, 10 years ago QAM-64 wasn't defined for US, but today there are many talks about QAM-256 for US and QAM-1024 for DS.

I absolutely agree with you that the properly designed OFDM signal can co-exist with Analog and QAM on HFC. We just have to define this signal and build a guidelines for all possible deployment scenarios.

Thanks,
Boris