From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:thompson@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: 03 March 2012 08:33
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] What is the problem with the EPoC converter, and
what is the CLT?

All-

This reply is primarily to respond to Jorge's message time stamped Fri,
2 Mar 2012 05:12:46 +0000
and Ed's message below.

I hope I provide some guidance that will settle us on some common
terminology.
I believe that I have the history in 802 and 802.3 to provide the most
authoritative guidance here.

What Jorge was asking for in his message as a "converter" is not a "bridge"
by any definition of a "bridge" used in 802.
A "bridge" is:
- A device that operates at Layer 2 above the MAC
- A device that couples multiple MACs together
- Is something that relays packets
- Is a packet store and forward device
- Can accommodate differences in speeds between ports
- Has two or more ports
- Has a relay functionality between the ports that is standardized in 802.1
(and is thus outside the scope of 802.3) Crossing a "bridge" with an
EPON/EPoC on either side would constitute 2 entirely separate TDMA domains
that were isolated and separated by the bridge, not an extension of one
domain across the device.

There are a number of devices on the market that are called "media
converters" (most often "converting" between fiber and twisted pair).
These days (unlike days of yore) these are most often two port non-filtering
bridges. 802.1 has done some work to support such devices.
802.1 calls the piece of such a device that is within their scope a "2 Port
MAC Relay (2PMR)"

A "media converter" is a product that is historically unspecified in 802.
The products sold under this name had a wide variety of performance features
and ills. It has always been felt in 802.3 that because of this, it would be
a bad idea to use that term for a standardized device.

As Ed mentioned, there was a device once upon a time in the history of
802.3 that was much closer to Jorge's ask. That was the 802.3 10 Mb/s
repeater (see clause 9 of the standard). In fact, in its earliest
incarnation, it was used to do "media conversion" between coax and fiber. It
doesn't match the functionality of what we want now because it was a
half-duplex device that actually participated in the CSMA/CD contention
resolution process.

We need a full duplex device. Once upon a time there was such a device
defined in the FDDI Standards work. It was:
- Called PHY-REP (Physical Layer Repeater)
- The small amount of logic required to couple PHYs back-to-back
- Full duplex
- A bit store and forward device
- Provides bit level retiming
- Was same bit and clock rate on each side We certainly could explore
developing and standarizing such a device for use in a hybrid EPo
environment. Whether we could come up with a reasonable box has a lot of
issues. Some of these were set forth by Mr.
Yao. Another might be a mismatch of clock rates and encoding on copper vs.
fiber

Whether such a device is feasible for us certainly a reasonable topic for
discussion. I would propose calling such a device a "duplex repeater".

Hopefully these messages will help us more forward with greater common
understanding.

Best regards to all,

Geoff Thompson

On 23//12 2:59 PM, Ed (Edward) Boyd wrote:
> Hi Jorge and all,
>
> The IEEE 802.3 can define the EPOC PHY with the Ethernet MAC above it.
The IEEE has the definition for the bridge in 802.1.  The definition of a
bridge between EPON and EPOC should be handled by these standards.  I agree
that it isn't really a CLT since we think of the CLT has a shelf with many
blades.  It is a 2 port bridge.  I think that we could modify our drawings
to show a 2 port bridge between EPON and EPOC.  We should come up with a
nice acronym for it.  Maybe ECB "EPON Coax Bridge".  I don't think that a
bridge is what Jorge had in mind.

> Media converters are not normally defined in 802.3 but they have been
standardized.  802.3 defined Ethernet Repeaters long ago when we had half
duplex.  Repeaters were connections between Ethernet PHYs which is
essentially what you are asking for today.  The repeater disappeared with
full duplex.  Media Converters have standards in Japan and other places.
They have not been defined by 802.3 to my knowledge.  I agree that we should
show the media converter or repeater application in our system drawings
since it has great value to the operators.  As Mark suggested, we should
keep the media converter (repeater) in mind when we define the PHY.  I'm not
sure if we can define it here in 802.3 with the EPOC PHY.  Maybe Glen or
Howard can comment where in IEEE, where it would get defined.  Do we ask for
a repeater project in 802.3 or a media converter in SIEPON or somewhere
else?

> For reference, I will mention that an Ethernet media converter is simple
to build and it can handle different rate PHYs.  You can find them for sale
on-line.  Some people use higher data gigabit optics as the transport but
they are connecting to 100BT Ethernet devices.  The media converter has
buffering for a single packet.  It will get the packet off of the GMII and
put it on the XGMII.  If there is 100BT on both sides of the media
converter, there is no packet drop.  If the MAC isn't controlled to 100BT
rate, packets will be dropped.

> In the case of EPOC, we will have a similar issue.  In the Ethernet in the
first mile, the MAC was required to delay the transmission of packets to the
PHY to meet the data rate of the PHY.  I'm sure Howard can shine more light
on this approach.  If we connect the EPOC PHY to the EPON MAC, the EPOC MAC
must regulate the frames to the PHY's auto-negotiated data rate.  In the
case of the media converter, the EPON MAC in the OLT would need to regulate
the transmission of data as if it was directly connected to the EPOC PHY.