Re: [802.3_EPOC] Continuing work on EPOC objectives

Thanks, Hugh! That is by far the best explanation that I've heard of the
reasoning behind the BER.

Based on this explanation, I went looking through more 802.3 archives and
found a submission given in July 2002 to the EPON TF. In this
presentation, a calculation was given for Mean Time to False Packet
Acceptance for 1G EPON using FEC. The conclusions there (I am glossing
over a lot of details) was that 10^-12 BER would give a MTTFPA of 4*10^16
years.

Making a similar calculation for 10^-10 gives an MTTFPA something on the
order of 10^14 years. Someone should double check my calculations, though.

Another concern that I've heard is how a BER-domain of 10^-10 (EPOC) would
interoperate with a BER-domain of 10^-12 (EPON). My analysis is that (in
the worst case) the overall network would operate at 10^-10 BER. At the
packet-error rate we've calculated, though, this shouldn't be a problem.

Someone that knows the technical in's and out's better than I do should
correct anything that I've miscalculated or misstated.

Thanks!

--kan--

--
Kevin A. Noll