Re: [802.3_EPOC] Latest objectives proposal

Hi,

I did not attend the last conference calls, but I have been following progress through the reflector. I have a question about the wording in Objective 1, which is now

"Specify at least one PHY to support subscriber access […]"

while previous proposal was:

"Specify a PHY to support subscriber access networks […] "

Can somebody clarify the rationale for the new wording, which seems to "almost" encourage the group to develop more than one PHY? We have all seen other IEEE groups that quickly yielded to the temptation of adopting multiple PHYs as soon as they realized that having the group agree on a single PHY was hard work. I would hate to see the same thing happening in EPoC, as this would cause market fragmentation and slow down adoption.

The objective should be "one PHY". Only if the group finds at a later stage a very good reason to develop more than one PHY then that option should be considered.

Just to be clear, for me it would be OK if the PHY for downstream and upstream channels have different parameters. As long as vendors do not have to face the decision of choosing between multiple and equally valid PHY options when implementing their products, that would still qualify as "one PHY" for me.

Best Regards

Chano Gómez
Lantiq North America