Re: [802.3_EPOC] Latest objectives proposal

Kevin, Ron

That is roughly what I was targeting. My thinking is if I want to operate the network channel to “permit maximum performance” for a given capacity, then I need to establish optimal channel performance which should be close to ideal. The thought is somewhere between “baseline performance” and “perfect”(ideal) there is a point of operation which trades off all of the network factors resulting in maximal capacity for customer utilization. So “ideal” works but coupling “optimal” with Ron’s “permit maximum performance” may best convey the desired outcome.

Tom

From: Ron Wolfe [mailto:rwolfe@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:28 PM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] Latest objectives proposal

Hi Kevin,

Sorry I didn’t get a chance to say hello a couple of weeks ago during the Q&A session.  Next time …

To me, the notion of “ideal” should in fact be attainable, however, it is very unlikely that anything defined as ideal would be sustainable over time.  Certainly ideal conditions would not be anticipated outside of a lab environment.  Ideal conditions would represent that environment where a system performance could reasonably be expected to perform to its maximum throughput.

I think you and Tom are actually saying the same thing when you consider that it is ideal conditions that represent the conditions that permit maximum performance.

I think either works, though to me “ideal” was a concept I grasped immediately as representing closely controlled lab conditions, albeit with the understanding that someone else might just as immediately grasp a completely different meaning.

Regards,

Ron