Re: [802.3_EPOC] Latest objectives proposal

Hey John

You make a good point which actually alters my thinking on this topic. Using the word “baseline” might be what needs to be questioned. By technical definition, I take baseline to mean: “information that is used as a starting point by which to compare other information.”

So if I was designing a network (not an EPoC channel) for operation, I would design it to support “optimal network performance” for all service in support of an analog, QAM, DOCSIS and an EPoC load at a prescribed level, distortion performance  and temperature. That would be the point I would know testing could demonstrate compliance much like is done with FCC testing or network proof of performance. That treats performance in all network configurations the same whether it is a passive network or N+”x” (pick a number) an presents a measurable norm.

If the network operates below that level, then performance impact should be expected to the point where operation effectively ceases because of noise and other outside factors. If the network operates above that point, then better performance should be expected with the caveat that there is a point of diminishing returns where composite distortions take a significant toll and can render the network useless. In short, the “bathtub curve.” Moran (Motorola) has demonstrated time and again how many cable networks are not operated properly in the “bathtub curve” for optimal network performance and that is without EPoC in the picture.

That can’t be done solely by establishing a baseline of operation of a network for analog, QAM and DOCSIS. It has to be done with EPoC factored into the design equation of the network from the start and not solely as the addition of an EPoC channel. In a deployed fully designed and engineered network, without concern for what the actual top end frequency currently is, where an EPoC channel is added then the expected result should be that all service levels will be lowered to operate under the power constraints of the equipment whether passive or N+”x”. That may, in simple fact, mean the operator has to remove and install lower tap plates to provide a specified level in the customer home who is not involved with EPoC at all. Based on how the network was originally designed and engineered  that doesn’t guarantee that FCC yearly performance testing can be met. As the operators know, that has its own implications.

So is the purpose of Objectives #3 & 4 to provide a “baseline” channel operation for EPoC or is it to establish an “optimal network performance for all deployed services” when EPoC  is in the carriage? Considering the operators (Noll et al) already invoked the “Network Hippocratic”  Oath: “First, do no harm to my deployed services…” then Objective 3 directly and Objective 4 because it relies on #3 do not, in my view, meet the premise.

So I might agree to wording similar to yours if the objectives stipulate that the addition of an EPoC channel, at the stated data rates and BER performance, can be met when there is no performance impact to other services in an optimal network design which becomes the baseline against which all performance is measured: positive or negative.  So making the objective reflect that statement allows for directly developing salient criteria for measuring the success or failure of EPoC in a coax network. How do we state that in the objective?

Best regards

Tom