Re: [802.3_EPOC] 802 Error rates for wired PHY

Sorry for jumping in here, but this can be a good example of why BER is not relevant.  Consider a frame of 2000 bytes (approximately the length of the DVB C2 LDPC code). According to this requirement a frame error rate of 2000 x 8x10^-8 = 1.6x10^-4 would meet the requirement.  Now depending on how the FEC fails, many bits in the failed frame could be wrong.  If it was totally wrong and bits were random 50% might be wrong, which would give a BER of 8x10-5 that would still give an acceptable frame error rate.  -Bill

From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:46 PM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] 802 Error rates for wired PHY

Dear Tom,

Just one clarification – the number you quote as requirement, is not a requirement. It is an informative note, which has no weight when it comes to the interpretation of the standard. The requirement speaks of “8x10^-8 error rate per octet of MAC frame length” (this is where the shall statement is placed) and this is what we have to be able to demonstrate. Everything else does not matter (or almost does not matter).

If you could kindly provide calculations showing what BER we’d have to be working at to guarantee that kind of error rate at MAC service interface, I believe it would be a very valuable contribution for this group. And please, do provide all calculations (Excel would be nice) so that people can go and run their own calculations as well. We are mostly engineers in here and like number crunching J

Regards

Marek