Re: [802.3_EPOC] 802 Error rates for wired PHY

Dear Marek,

Thank you for the clarification.  Your comments and suggestions are very helpful.

I appreciate your suggestion (invitation) to provide calculations, which I performed in preparing my presentation, for review by the entire group.  I accept the invitation and will provide these calculations, in suitable form, within a few days.

One thing which I really cannot do is provide calculations which derive (precisely) what BER is required “to guarantee that kind of error rate at MAC service interface.”  This is because (as mentioned in one bullet in my presentation!) you cannot allocate a Codeword Error Rate requirement satisfactory to meet a Packet Error Rate (frame error rate) requirement BEFORE knowing the Forward Error Control (FEC) specifics.  In exactly the same vein, speaking rigorously, it is not possible to back into a BER requirement from a bottom line frame error rate requirement without knowing the FEC details, which we do not have for EPoC at this stage.  In fact, that is one of the points I was trying to make with my submission --- we really would be best-served by knowing a frame error rate requirement as our Objective, and then designing the details of the PHY from that perspective or starting point.  When this is concluded we can calculate (estimate) the BER (in accordance with channel models which the Task Group will have developed), with the PHY and FEC which we will have developed.

As a note hopefully adding some clarification, the frame error rate for the 1518 byte packet is calculated in the architecture document (which you thankfully brought to our attention below), as 1.21x10^-4; when this is related to the 8x10^-8 error rate per octet, it can be shown that there is an assumption that the octet errors are INDEPENDENT events.  Of course, with almost any FEC we will develop, the octet errors will NOT be independent events (especially true for upstream).  Thus, I infer from the note at the bottom of your provided passage from the architecture document that the INTENT of the architecture document is for systems to meet the given frame error rate (for 1518 byte packets), even though the octet error rate is the “shall.”

In other words, we have a “shall” for octet error rate, and an “is to be less than” for the frame error rate.  Is it the case that the frame error rate “is to be less than” is in REALITY what IEEE 802.3 wants to see, IF the correlation of octet error events is such that the ratio of octet error rate and frame error rate is deviated from 1518?

I have to conclude that it is in fact the situation that if there were a frame error rate of 1x10^-3 and an octet error rate of 10^-9 that IEEE 802.3 would reject this as unacceptable (I do not believe this is possible, but this is a rhetorical question).  On the other hand, would IEEE 802.3 consider it unacceptable if the octet error rate was 9x10^-8, and the frame error rate were 10^-5?  I suspect that this would actually be acceptable, even if not meeting the letter of the “shall” law; the situation IS meeting the letter of the “is to be lesser than” guidance.

I hope we all agree that it is the frame error rate that really matters in this situation, not the underlying octet error rate.  Note that after the passage highlighted below was written (2004 approx?), that IEEE 802.3 did in fact adopt a frame error rate “shall,” in IEEE 802.3an-2006, as mentioned in my submission.  I think there is precedent for, and logic supports, making the frame error rate the guiding figure of merit.  Error rates of BER and octets are not relatable to frame error rate prior to developing the details of the PHY; I believe they properly should be secondary figures of merit and not the bottom line Objective, for guiding our developments to efficiently meet system needs, and I interpret the provided passages from the architecture document for IEEE 802.3 as being aligned with this approach.

Again, sincerely, thank you Marek for your dialogue on this topic and raising my level of awareness on IEEE 802.3 architecture requirements.  I look forward to working with you and all others going forward.

Later, tjk