From: Rick Li [mailto:Rick.Li@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:20 AM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] Action items for September 2012 meeting

Marek, Jorge, Hal, the TF (YES!) members,

I would like to propose the following term for consideration:

- OCN (optical coax Node)
- FCN (Finer coax Node)

I believe 'Node' is more appropriate to refer to such a remote field device in an HFC plant.

With 'Node', it also clearly differentiate from CLT and CNU, thus we have

- CLT as a 'Terminal' where all EPoC protocols must be 'terminated' on one side
- OCN (or FCN) as a 'Node' where it provides physical or MAC layer processing between CLT and CNUs WITHOUT affecting IOP
- CNU as a 'Unit' for subscriber access to an EPOC network

'Terminal', 'Node', 'Unit' would distinguish the functions better.

Also 'Node' does not contain potentially offending characters and can refer to either a repeater, a bridge, or anything in between or even above.

I would also like to comment that in certain network scenario, this remote device may not exist - where CLT is in the node location for example.

Best and have a good weekend
Rick

Sent from my iPonyExpress.