From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:thompson@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2012 1:04 PM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] EPoC Bandwidth Discussion

Colleagues-

Just goes to show the extent to which Wikipedia is not an authoritative source.
The answer to this question is obvious within the word itself.  Bandwidth is the width of the spectral band, i.e. it is an analog measurement.

The so called "digital bandwidth" is not a bandwidth it is "channel capacity" or "data rate" or "bit rate".

To illustrate how silly it is to use the spectral term for the digital term just think of it in concrete terms.
You would never use the term "pavement width" when you mean "cars per hour".

I took a brief tour of older clauses of 802.3 and the term is mostly used correctly.  There are several instances (which are unfortunately duplicated in several places) where "bit rate" would have been more accurate.

I would strongly prefer that we preserve its analog meaning and use other appropriate terminology for digital rate measurement (even if it means bucking current common terminology).

Geoff Thompson