Re: [802.3_EPOC] IEEE P802.3bn Call for Presentations for Geneva meeting

Hi Jorge,

Since you asked “all” as well ... It is typical for any project to establish what is called “baseline proposals”, covering a set of technical agreements and requirements that the given device under specification must meet. Here are some examples of baseline proposals from other projects:

•       P802.3av (among the others, more available at http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/public/baseline.html):

–      “802.3av shall not support a physical XAUI interface between PHY and MAC in the ONU.”

–      “There shall be a Broadcast MAC instance for 10G distinct from the 1G Broadcast MAC instance”

–      “10GEPON shall accommodate FEC’s parity bandwidth by reducing the MAC’s effective data rate (sub-rating).”

•       P802.3bf:

–      “Adopt slide 7 from law_1_0110.pdf <http://www.ieee802.org/3/bf/public/1001/law_1_0110.pdf>  as the baseline architecture”

•       P802.3bj:

–      “Move that the following be adopted as baseline proposals:
- dudek_03_0312.pdf <http://www.ieee802.org/3/bj/public/mar12/dudek_03_0312.pdf>  for the 12.9GHz-related objective
- brown_01a_0312.pdf <http://www.ieee802.org/3/bj/public/mar12/brown_01a_0312.pdf>  (excluding slides 4 and 26) and brown_02_0312.pdf <http://www.ieee802.org/3/bj/public/mar12/brown_02_0312.pdf>  for the 7.0GHz related objective”

Is this what you mean by “technical requirements”? If so, I believe we have mechanism already in place to establish those – all we need is proposals, discussion at the meeting and eventually – a vote to approve these. Howard described this process already in some detail in http://www.ieee802.org/3/epoc/public/jul12/frazier_02_0712.pdf presented at the last meeting.

Regards

Marek