From: Matthew Schmitt [mailto:m.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 1:40 PM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_EPOC] Exclusion bandwidth question

With apologies for missing the first part of the call, I wanted to follow up on the discussion of exclusion bandwidth in the presentation materials that were reviewed on the call.

In particular, I wanted to ask the following question: is there any reason why we can't have granularity down to the level of a sub-carrier?  Why does it need to be 6 or 8 MHz in the downstream, or 6.4 or 3.2 or 1.6 MHz in the upstream?  Is there a reason we can't just mute individual sub-carriers?  Does it really impact the complexity of the solution that much?  Or is it more a concern regarding how deeply an individual sub-carrier can be muted?  I'd like to better understand the implications and the tradeoffs here before I jump to one conclusion or another.

Thanks!

Matt