Re: [802.3_EPOC] Questions on varanese_01_0912.pdf

Again, excellent presentation Andrea.  It does capture the essence of
important channel model fundamentals that we need to quantify to select a
proposal and optimize a system design.

Below in line is the written feedback version of my comment with respect to
the direct relevance of the results shown to our application, as they
relate to some of Marek's Q's.  Perhaps a better way to put it is that it
is relative to what I view as the identified use case with the highest
probability or highest priority in practice for NA cable applications.

Rob H

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Marek Hajduczenia <marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxx
> wrote:

> Thank you Andrea, ****
>
> ** **
>
> Please see inline ****
>
> ** **
>
> Marek****
>
> ** **

*[RH]* There are several important architecture and system deltas between
the analysis, which accurately portrays residential SNR dynamics today, and
then extrapolates to the band >1 GHz for the tap models shown (which can
vary by manufacturer).  The differences tend to limit the range of SNR
across CPE and translate to less extra capacity from bit-loading on a
per-user basis.

Key differences influencing results are:

1) Digital optics for EPoC into the plant vs the linear optics that play
the dominant role in link SNR.  The optical link in typical HFC design
tends to set the SNR and would be reflected in these results.
2) RF actives vs No RF Actives.  Amplifiers are extremely linear, but
nonetheless a cascade will tend to contribute some SNR degradation in the
form of CCN (digital distortion build up).  The result is that near the
node versus end of line there will be a plant-contributed SNR delta.  That
would be reflected in these results.
3) For a digitally optically fed OCU in the plant, or inside a node module
in the plant, its RF chain has only its own load to support.  There is no
broadband load to share with legacy, and thus no sharing a fixed dynamic
range of a laser, D/A or RF stage.
4) CPE in residential may be deep in a home and the NF begins to contribute
or even dominate the reported SNR.  My understanding is the devices used in
this study extract these low RF level cases for the most part by choice of
device (which is good).
5) As a frame of reference a residential HFC N+0 design would be in the
range of 50 or less homes passed using the reach of typical levels,
bandwidths, and tap strings.  High bands would drop the reach.  Other dB
offsets for different levels, fewer taps, lower CPE NF, and presumably the
opportunity to use a higher quality drop to a new user can be calculated.

As mentioned, the best effort "excess" band >1 GHz clearly works against
SNR uniformity.  In that band, low SNRs due to roll-off are also
accompanied by high group delay, and poor return loss and reflections,
which will mean a different set of optimal OFDM parameters.  I would add
that most cable systems are still 750 MHz or 870 MHz, and the limitation is
the RF actives.  In these systems, passive coax bandwidth between 750/870
MHz and 1 GHz may be available that is in spec of the Taps and not
degraded.  There are also taps and approaches to upgrade taps to get them
to 1.5-1.7 GHz.

Good starting point for an important discussion that the channel model work
aims to clarify.

****