Re: [802.3_EPOC] Questions on varanese_01_0912.pdf

Matt,

I agree that a number of MCSs should be defined and that a specific set of MCS attributes could consist of a profile, as you propose.  The Channel Model should inform the choice of MCSs.  To do this, the Channel Model should not be a single set of parameters/impairments but identify a range of values for each impairment, where necessary.

Hal

From: Matthew Schmitt [mailto:m.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 12:24 PM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] Questions on varanese_01_0912.pdf

As an FYI, if deployed for residential services, especially early on I think that you might have numbers of devices per OLT port on the order of what might be done for a DOCSIS service group, achieved by aggregating a number of OCUs onto a single OLT port.  That could easily be on order of 250-500 CNUs per OLT port.  Probably less in actuality, but I think we should be prepared for those types of numbers.

Over time, I agree with Jorge and Ed that it will likely get smaller (by disaggregating those OCUs onto different OLT ports), probably on order of 64 CNUs for a single OLT port (give or take).  The key, though, is that we need to design the system to handle more than that.

Business services might be closer to the 64-128 number to start, ramping down to smaller numbers over time.

Note that the above is my personal opinion; I have not talked to my members to generate a specific consensus position on that topic.

Marek, as to your point about SNR variance...  The problem is that even if there are only 2 devices, while statistically the odds are lower that there's a significant spread in SNR, there's still a chance that they will be spread quite a bit.  Additionally, if you're looking at multiple OCUs aggregated to a single OLT port, the odds of significant SNR spread between devices sharing that single OLT port (because they're on different OCUs) is actually quite high.

I believe very strongly that we need to adopt some sort of mechanism in EPoC that allows for different CNUs to operate with different Modulation and Coding Schemes (MCSs).  I believe you can get the majority of the benefit with a limited number of "profiles" that CNUs could be grouped into, but I think you will need at least on order of 3-4 of these.

Thanks.

Matt