From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:01 PM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] Why multiple simultaneous MCS

Matt,

It would be nice if the discussion also involved these "others" you reference. It seems that you're building a case for pre-existing consensus on this topic, yet this is not what we observed at the last meeting in Geneva. I would encourage these "others" to voice their opinions rather than rely on the group representation.

Now, for technicalities.

Your argument on SNR headroom is valid enough for consideration. However, the way we have typically designed specs before was on putting also some requirements on the cable plant and not only on the equipment. It seems to me that you're building the case under which the cableplant can be as bad or good as it is, while the equipment has to have all the required flexibility to adapt to any plant (physical link) that it has to operate on (and conversely, take the hit in terms of complexity and resulting cost). While it is fine if that is what the group wants, before we take the plunge into development, I think it would be worthwhile if yourself and the unnamed "others" presented a detailed analysis of the added cost, impact on latency and something more of a detailed study of how such MCS function could be implemented in EPoC without moving away from EPON-like protocol. I understand that there may be growing consensus on the side of DOCSIS 3.1 that it needs to be done, but without such a study, I personally will not be able to make an educated vote on this matter. Seeing how you propose this to be done in 802.3 architecture would make all the difference for me.

I voiced my concerns before and I hope solution exists to them in a way that makes us move forward. Appealing as the MCS might be, it needs to go through the proper technical scrutiny, involving looking at the cost / performance / latency / implementation issues. Only then I believe we can take a decision, and not before.

Regards

Marek