Re: [802.3_EPOC] another argument for MCS

For George…

From: "George Hart @ Rogers" <George.Hart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:George.Hart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:04 PM
To: Victor Blake <victorblake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:victorblake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>, "STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: Matthew Schmitt <m.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:m.schmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: RE: [802.3_EPOC] another argument for MCS

Our recent real world experience with LTE interference has prompted us to become much more concerned about this interference source. We can expect this challenge to only grow in future as wireless carriers increasingly overlap with cable spectrum and also increase channel widths through carrier aggregation. Femtocells may become particularly problematic for their downlink transmissions. This field experience and expectations on future developments will need to be incorporated into the channel model, but in the meantime, having an adaptive mechanism for dealing with the intermittent nature of these interference sources (mobile handsets have a habit of moving around) seems highly desirable.

While we do our best to clear up defects in our network to clear up ingress, this takes time and service outage in the meantime is not an option. So as we push the envelope on spectral efficiency for EPoC, the requirement for autonomously adapting to degraded plant performance becomes essential.

Thanks,

George