Re: [802.3_EPOC] Early comments on dai_01_1112.pdf

Dear Christian,

It would probably help further discussion, if the use of "we" in the
statements made by an individual could be avoided. I tend to read that as a
royal "we" and it sets me back instantly. We are also all individuals here
and express individual opinions, rather than represent group wisdom .

Regarding the first point you're making, which I assume picks on the part
that I directly contributed to this deck. To simplify implementations, in
the past projects that I participated in, people were trying to come up with
the ways to limit the number of different clock rates required to implement
the given PHY. If all the data rates are multiples of a single base clock,
implementation becomes simpler. This was the case for 10G-EPON, and drove
the selection of the specific FEC code, among the others.

The point that I was trying to make is that with MMP approach (at least the
way I understand this could work), data rates at some of the interfaces will
be varying widely from packet to packet due to different capacity of the
channel over which they will be transmitted. I am not talking about some PHY
clock (which I do not know what it is, really . I would expect to have
312.5MHz+/-100ppm clock as basis for our system, given that this is the rate
at which XGMII makes data transfers; whether that is the PHY clock, I do not
know - you seem to create new terms as you go) and I am not sure what
buffering and demupltiplexing has to do in here. You have to be able to push
out frames across PMA into PMD at some speed for one profile and another
speed for another profile, to make sure that they can be transmitted
correctly within the PMD (perhaps at the fixed PHY clock you referred to).
Different data rates at PMA = different base clocks, hence the clock
variability I am referring to within the slides.

Also, I am not arguing for any additional clock signals (not sure from where
and to where such signals would go). All I am saying is that with the
increase in different data rates within the PHY, an implementer will have to
synthesize more clock rates from the base clock. Effectively, I am arguing
in favour of making the implementation simpler for any chip designer,
something you should appreciate I believe.

Regards

Marek