[802.3_EPOC] Exclusion Sub-band Question

EPoC TF,

               On today's RF Spectrum Ad Hoc call we discussed the Exclusion Sub-band Rules.  There are two approaches that we discussed and it was suggested that it would be good to get feedback from the larger group, including the MSOs, on this topic.  Here is a description of the two approaches that have been proposed.  If you have technical opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of the two approaches or you have a preference for one method, we would like to hear from you.

Method #1

*        Exclusion sub-bands are multiples of 2 MHz (e.g. 2, 4, 6, etc.) and are on a 1 MHz grid.

*        In this case one could configure 36 MHz exclusion sub-band on the lower channel edge and 36 MHz exclusion sub-band on the upper channel edge and get 120 MHz channel.  Then one could include a 2 MHz sub-band within the 120MHz to make room for a cable plant pilot.

Method #2

*        Exclusion sub-bands are specified with a start and stop index.

*        In this case one could configure a 31 MHz exclusion sub-band on the lower channel edge and a 22.5 MHz exclusion sub-band on the upper channel edge.  Then one could also include a 1.75 MHz exclusion sub-band within the channel to make room for a cable plant pilot.

Personal Opinion

*        In my opinion, Method #1 is potentially less complex to implement.

*        In my opinion, Method #2 provides more flexibility than Method #2

*        This seems to be a trade-off between complexity and flexibility

Comments?

Steve