Re: [802.3_EPOC] TDD and PHY sub-Task Force creation, ad hoc committee timeframe extensions

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the heads up.   Collectively we'll discuss how to best address these concerns while moving forward.

Mark

From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:thompson@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 4:00 PM
To: Mark Laubach
Cc: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Geoff Thompson; David Law; Tony Jeffree; Michael Johas Teener; Steve Carlson
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] TDD and PHY sub-Task Force creation, ad hoc committee timeframe extensions

Mark-

Just an early heads up.
I consider the TDD approach to be out of scope for the currently approved project.
A TDD approach involves changes to the MAC
(The TF may be able to bury it or gloss it over by putting the TDD functionality somewhere else where it doesn't philosophically belong, but the change in approach is a change to the media access control algorithm.)

Therefore, if this approach is to be pursued, you need to start making provision for changing the project paperwork.
In particular, I am concerned with the compatibility issues that such an approach would bring forth with respect to time-sensitive/time-stamped services.  That is, I have a suspicion that TDD might break some assumptions that are made for timed services in 802.1 and their dependence on 802.3bf.

I do believe that all of this is fixable but I don't think it is fixable within the current scope.  It certainly is better to take these issues into consideration earlier in the project than to run into a brick wall during Working Group or Sponsor ballot.

Best regards,

Geoff Thompson