Re: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] Evaluation Criteria and Requirements Ad Hoc Minutes

Steve,

I'd like to request that the minutes reflect concerns Leo and I brought
forward in relation to the frequency and synchronization precision
requirements. We believe these are not PHY specific requirements, but system
level requirements. If such a requirement does find its way into PHY spec,
there is no way to verify it separately, i.e., nobody measures what part of
the system level precision budget is consumed in PHY alone.

I'd also like to have it recorded in the minutes (as mentioned on the call)
that EPON does support mobile backhaul services with *no* requirements of
this type thrown into the PHY specs.

Furthermore, I believe it was also mentioned that such a requirement would
overly burden devices that are not expected to carry mobile backhaul
services. However, in the PHY spec it is not possible to distinguish one
from another (there is just a PHY), given that 802.3 does not provide
product specs. Such system level requirements should be brought forward to
the group that deals with a system level design.

Regards

Marek