From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:15 AM
To: Shellhammer, Steve; STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: leo.montreuil@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] Evaluation Criteria and Requirements Ad Hoc Minutes

Steve,

I'd like to request that the minutes reflect concerns Leo and I brought forward in relation to the frequency and synchronization precision requirements. We believe these are not PHY specific requirements, but system level requirements. If such a requirement does find its way into PHY spec, there is no way to verify it separately, i.e., nobody measures what part of the system level precision budget is consumed in PHY alone.

I'd also like to have it recorded in the minutes (as mentioned on the call) that EPON does support mobile backhaul services with *no* requirements of this type thrown into the PHY specs.

Furthermore, I believe it was also mentioned that such a requirement would overly burden devices that are not expected to carry mobile backhaul services. However, in the PHY spec it is not possible to distinguish one from another (there is just a PHY), given that 802.3 does not provide product specs. Such system level requirements should be brought forward to the group that deals with a system level design.

Regards

Marek