Re: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] Question on FER Objective

All-

The max "legal" frame size these days is 2000 octets.
    (Ref: 802.3-2012, Table 4-2)
This "headspace" beyond the legacy 1518 limit was put in to accommodate the various encapsulation protocols that add to the maxBasicFrameSize of 1518 octets.

The additions come with:
-Virtual LAN (VLAN) protocols as found in 802.1Q as well as proprietary protocols. - Security encapsulation protocols as found in 802.1AS as well as proprietary protocols.
Multiple instances of the above which result in nested encapsulation.

There is also a non trivial market and installed base for applications which use so-called "Jumbo Frames" involving frames sizes of at least 4K bytes. These applications are not dealt with in 802.3 but support or at least reasonable error performance for these sizes is a very real issue of product design for silicon vendors.

I hope this helps.

    Geoff Thompson