Re: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] EPoC Evaluation Criteria and Requirements Ad Hoc

Curtis,

My apologies for not having attended the call - I had medical emergency at
home. After a few hours in hospital, I think everything is back on track.

Regarding the items below .

If you implemented MMP with a single data pipeline, all the SDs would have
to be aware of the profile you're sending data on and adapt accordingly.
Obviously, that requires some real-time control signaling and will simply
not work in EPoC. I had a presentation to that effect already. Such an
arrangement creates all kinds of challenges, including synchronization of
profile switching between PCS and MPMC, where certain amount of data is
still in the pipeline and must be processed before new profile is applied.
It is a non-trivial problem, really.

Regarding item 2, for simplicity, we show that all inserted idles (excluding
IPG . ) are removed, i.e., we have high load conditions in the stack, where
there is more data available than we can actually push through the stack.
This is only the assumption for simplicity. However, in reality, there is
nothing that prevents IDLEs from being included in the data stream. MAC
Clients do not have anything to send, MAC fills these extra spaces between
frames with IDLEs and sends across the wire. These IDLEs are needed and will
not be removed by the SDs and that means you're 100% on the money here. We
did mention this fact at the last meeting and it seems to have caused
substantial confusion among people. We wanted to avoid this confusion at the
introductory level this time, to make sure that the principle is first
understood and details are explained later.

Hope that helps

Regards

Marek