From: Ed (Edward) Boyd [mailto:ed.boyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 1:44 PM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-3-EPOC] Burst Markers

Hi Raanan

Thanks for the email.  It is certainly possible to build and send MAPs as
done in other standards.  This type of solution is far from the current
Ethernet/EPON standard.  The PHY doesn't process the GATE frames in the
current standard and there isn't burst information signaled from the MAC to
the PHY. The GATEs are sent unicast with delay compensation in the start
time.  It would challenging to have a PHY rewrite the frames and figure out
the boundaries of the GATEs so it could construct the MAP.

While laser ON/OFF doesn't exist in EPoC, other burst overheads do exist.  I
would like EPoC to have the same or less burst overhead than EPON so I use
the laser on/off and sync time from EPON as a reference point for
comparison.

In short, The MAP is an option for a new standard but it really isn't for an
EPON over Coax.  I think the marker will be simple and allow full
compatibility with the EPON standard and layering.

On the overhead, I think that it can be low based on discussions with our
PHY team.  It could be just a few symbols in a small number of carriers.  We
are working proposals on the details and are open to suggestions.  I think
that the shortened last code word will be the largest burst overhead for
EPoC.

Hope that helps

Ed

Sent from my iPhone